Oil on canvas
71,5 х 56,5
State Russian Museum
Пост.: 1928 из Аничкова дворца (Ленинград)
After Alexander Alexandrovich and Marie Feodorovna’s wedding in October 1866, the young couple moved into Anichkov Palace, where Alexander was born. From then on, this palace would remain the emperor’s main residence in the capital until the end of his life. A library for the Grand Duke was designed by Ippolito Monighetti and built from 1868–1869. It is a two-story space in the Renaissance style, decorated with caved oak, leather, bronze, and marble. In Alexei Bobrov’s painting, done soon after the completion of all the decorative work, there is a stained-glass window with the coat of arms of the Russian Empire. This did not survive to the present day.
Bobrov, Alexei Alexeyevich
1849, Tsarskoye Selo – 1899, St Petersburg
Painter, engraver, genre artist. Specialised in perspective views of rooms. Studied at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1866). Contributed to exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1867). Awarded the title of teacher of drawing in district schools (1871). Engraver (after 1875).