Oil on canvas
76,5 x 60,8
State Russian Museum
Пост. в 1939 от Т.М. Краснобородовой, Ленинград; ранее — собрание Н.Д. Ермакова, Петроград; Н.И. Гучкова, Москва
Beginning in 1886, Serov was a frequent guest at Domotkanovo, the estate of his friend Vladimir von Derwies. The estate’s natural beauty in summer and winter inspired a number of studies that are amazingly subtle in colour and full of quiet, among which is Old Bathhouse in Domotkanovo, an example of Russian Impressionism. With their lyrical interpretations of nature sustained in light tones and fresh, energetic painting style, these landscapes were new for their time and reflected the quest, typical for Russian young people at the time, for a means of expression that is in accordance with the new mental outlook.
Serov, Valentin Alexandrovich
1865, St Petersburg - 1911, Moscow
Painter, graphic artist, teacher, portraitist, landscapist, history painter. Son of the composer Alexander Serov. Studied under Ilya Repin in Paris and Moscow (1874-75, 1878-80) and under Pavel Chistyakov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1880-85). Academician of painting (1898), full member of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1903-05). Member of the Abramtsevo circle (from the 18705). Contributed to exhibitions (from 1889). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Society of Travelling Art Exhibitions (1890-99; member from 1894), Munich Sezession (1896, 1898,1899; member from 1899), Exhibition of Russian and Finnish Artists (1898), World of Art (1896-1906, member from 1900; 1911-12, founding member), Berlin Sezession (1903), Exhibition of Historical Russian Portraits at the Tauride Palace in St Petersburg (1905), Union of Russian Artists (1905-10; member from 1903), Sergei Makovsky Salon (1909), Exposition Universelle in Paris (1900, grand prix), International Exhibitions in Munich (1909), Vienna (1902), Venice (1907), Brussels (1910) and Rome (1911) and the Exhibitions of Russian Art in Paris (1906, 1910), Berlin (1906) and Vienna (1908). Member of the board of the Tretyakov Gallery. Taught at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture (1897-1909). Designed for theatres in Moscow and St Petersburg and Sergei Diaghilev''s Saisons Russes (from 1886).