Oil on canvas
283 x 404
State Russian Museum
Пост. в 1923 из АХ, Петроград
In 1795, students of the Imperial Academy of Arts were asked to paint a programme depicting “on the battlefield, in the presence of Grand Prince Vladimir of Russia, the younger son of a warrior showing his unusual strength by capturing a raging bull by the horns.” Grigory Ugryumov was elected to the Imperial Academy of Arts for this painting in 1797.
Ugryumov, Grigory Ivanovich
1764, Norskaya (Yaroslavl Province) - 1823, St Petersburg
Painter, portraitist, history painter, icon-painter. Merchant's son. Studied under Gavriil Kozlov, Ivan Akimov and Pyotr Sokolov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (1770-85). Awarded a minor silver medal (1783), major silver medal (1774) and minor gold medal and first-class certificate for Hagar and Ismail in the Desert (1785). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1787-1791). Taught at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1791). Nominated (1794) and elected (1797) to the Imperial Academy of Arts for Testing the Strength of Jan Usmar (Russian Museum. St Petersburg). Assistant professor (1798), professor (1800), rector of history painting (1820). Painted icons for the Trinity Cathedral in the St Alexander Nevsky Monastery, Kazan Cathedral, Cathedral of the Transfiguration of the Saviour and the Chapel of St Michael the Archangel in St Michael's Castle.