Oil on сanvas
126 x 98
State Russian Museum
Grigory Grigorievich Kushelev 1754–1833) was a count (since 1799), a graduate of the Marine Cadets Corps, a participant of the Archipelago Expedition during the Russo-Turkish War of 1771–1774, a commander of Gatchina Fleet, a general-admiral of the order of Saint John of Jerusalem (since 1799), a general major and an adjutant general, since 1798 – an admiral and a vice president of the Collegium of Admiralties. During the reign of Alexander I he was dismissed from all positions. Grigory Grigorievich collected a large number of paintings and was an honored amateur member of the Imperial Academy of Arts. He was married twice, and his second wife was Lyubov Ilyinichna Bezborodko, a niece of the state chancellor.
Grigory Grigorievich is depicted with the orders of St. Andrew the Protoclete (a band and a star, 1799); St. Alexander Nevsky (a pendant cross – 1797, a cross with diamonds – 1798); St. Anna (1st grade, a pendant cross – 1796), St. John of Jerusalem (a pendant cross of a commander – 1798, a big cross – 1799), and a French order of St. Lazarus (a green cross on a green band and a golden star).
Kiprensky, Orest Adamovich
1772, Nezhinskaya (St Petersburg Province) - 1836, Rome
Portraitist, history painter, draughtsman. Illegitimate son of a serf woman, Anna Gavrilova, who gave him the name Kipreisky, later changed to Kiprensky. Grew up in the family of his foster father Adam Schwalde. Emancipated from serfdom and enrolled in the Imperial Academy of Arts (1788). Studied history painting under Grigory Ugryumov and Gabriele-Francois Doyen. Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1803-09). Worked in St Petersburg, Moscow and Tver. Academician of portrait painting (1812), councillor of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1815). Contributed to the exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts. Lived in Italy (1816-23, 1828-36). Contributed to the Paris Salon (1822). Donated Self-Portrait (1820) to the Galleria degli Uffizi in Florence (1825). Appointed second-class professor of history and portrait painting with automatic member¬ship of the nobility (1831). Councillor of the Accademia di Belle Arti in Naples (1831). Buried at Sant'' Andrea delle Fratte in Rome.