Oil on сanvas
94,5 х 135
State Russian Museum
The size and composition of this picture indicate that it was created as a pair for the painter’s another work View of Sorrento in the Vicinity of Naples (“with the house of Torquato Tasso”). It is assumed that the painting was included into a collection of landscapes ordered by Grand Duchess Elena Pavlovna in the beginning of 1829; however the artist did not manage to finish it. Therefore the painting may be dated back to 1829–1830.
Amalfi is a coastal city located near the Gulf of Salerno, to the south from Sorrento in the Italian province of Salerno, a former archbishop’s seat and a capital of a medieval maritime republic. The city was founded in the 4th century by Constantine the Great.
Schedrin, Sylvester Feodosiyevich
1791, St Petersburg - 1830, Sorrento
Painter, landscapist. Son of Feodosius Schedrin, professor of sculpture at the Imperial Academy of Arts. Studied landscape painting under Mikhail Ivanov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1800). Awarded a major gold medal (1811) and first-class certificate (1812). Remained at the Imperial Academy of Arts to perfect his art. Contributed to exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1813-15, 1820, 1824, 1827) and the Society for the Encouragement of Artists (1826-27). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Italy (1818). Settled in Rome. Lived in Naples (1819-20), Rome, Tivoli, Subiaco and Albano (1821-25) and Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri (1825-30). Travelled across north Italy and Switzerland (1829). Died and buried in Sorrento (1830).