Oil on сanvas
47 х 60
State Russian Museum
Castel Sant’Angelo in Rome is located on the right bank of the Tiber and was initially constructed as a shrine of the Roman emperors (Mausoleum of Hadrian), but in the Middle Ages was rebuilt as a fortress (later – a prison). On the top of the castle there is a statue of Archangel Michael. Legend has it that Pope Gregory the Great saw the Archangel in this place during the plague epidemics. The castle is connected with the other bank of the river with an ancient bridge of Sant-Angelo. Schedrin depicted the castle and the bridge from the left bank of the Tiber, namely from Tor di Nona quay. On the background one can see St. Peter’s Basilica and the Apostolic Palace of Vatican.
Schedrin, Sylvester Feodosiyevich
1791, St Petersburg - 1830, Sorrento
Painter, landscapist. Son of Feodosius Schedrin, professor of sculpture at the Imperial Academy of Arts. Studied landscape painting under Mikhail Ivanov at the Imperial Academy of Arts (from 1800). Awarded a major gold medal (1811) and first-class certificate (1812). Remained at the Imperial Academy of Arts to perfect his art. Contributed to exhibitions of the Imperial Academy of Arts (1813-15, 1820, 1824, 1827) and the Society for the Encouragement of Artists (1826-27). Fellow of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Italy (1818). Settled in Rome. Lived in Naples (1819-20), Rome, Tivoli, Subiaco and Albano (1821-25) and Naples, Sorrento, Amalfi and Capri (1825-30). Travelled across north Italy and Switzerland (1829). Died and buried in Sorrento (1830).