Oil on canvas
147 х 147
State Russian Museum
1774, Modena – 1832, St Petersburg
Italian painter, theatrical designer. Son of a court engineer of the Duke of Modena. Studied under Antonio Canova. Member of the Accademia di Belle Arti in Bologna and Milan. Left Italy after Napoleon’s invasion, worked in Vienna. Invited to Russia by Count Alexei Razumovsky (1805). Accepted Russian citizenship. Worked in Moscow and St Petersburg. Nominated to the Imperial Academy of Arts (1813) for drawings and paintings. In the second half of the 1800s painted the Evangelists and Lord Sabaoth in the cupola of the Kazan Cathedral, destroyed during repair work (1820). Designed for the Imperial Theatres (1815–1832). Taught at a drama school.